Monday, February 9, 2009

Clean Lungs=Clean Apartment?

Two weeks ago Dan and I decided it was time to quit smoking. We finished off our last pack, and stopped cold turkey. For the most part, we have been ok. We have random cravings, but they fade fast. I found for me, the best cure is knitting, rather than eating. So yay for not gaining weight when I quit smoking! Dan has also picked up his own little craft. He mentioned that he used to do latch hook when he was a kid, so the other night when we had to go on a yarn run, we picked him up a latch hook kit to work on. I joked with him saying when we find a new place, we need to find a place that has space for 2 craft corners now. (not that I mind)

With quitting smoking, comes the family being every shade of proud. The first phase with my mother when she heard we quit, was her inviting us over for dinner on a regular basis. Making sure to fill us up with her delicious cooking.

Saturday, she informed us of the next phase. Today, while I was at work....her and my stepdad came over and helped Dan clean the entire apartment. We are talking, baseboards, every teeny nook, ALL OF IT. Now please realize, I am not a princess. I don't expect my family to be responsible for our mess. With my horrid packrat ways, this place was in pretty bad shape. Six hours after they arrived, the place sparkles! I am eternally grateful to my mother for spending her Monday afternoon over here, making my life easier. It's so refreshing to come into the apartment and not smell the lingering stench of stale cigarette smoke.

Now, since Dan is home during the days, still struggling to find a job, I made a list of daily tasks to ensure that the apartment stays clutter free.



Eventually, I would like to replace the bedframe and get something that hurts less when bumping into it in the middle of the night. I also need to get some picture frames to hang up a few more posters I have. I also need to get rid of the loveseat and the chair in the living room and see if I can take advantage of some furniture stores in the area closing down.

Another mild problem area is in the kitchen. We have a lack of cabinet space and too many mugs to fit in them. Does anyone have any decent looking, low budget friendly storage solutions for coffee mugs?

1 comments:

sajmom said...

I'm glad you and your Mom are doing so much better now! The only people I've ever known who have quit forever or for many years at a time were through hypnotism or cold turkey.
The cheapest way to store them would probably be to buy one of those wooden shelves from AC Moore that have pegs, or build your own. All you'd really need is a long strip of wood, and handles sticking out to hang mugs off of.