Saturday, December 6, 2008

It's a nice day for a drive

Today, the hubby and I got sick of being cooped up in the apartment, so we decided to go out for a bit. I wanted to go to Starbucks, enjoy a drink and knit. He didn't want to end up sitting there bored to death while I was knitting away, so we stopped at Hackman's so he could get a book to read. While we were there, I got a Christmas gift for my Aunt Sue & Uncle Bill, along with a copy of "MULTIPLE BLES8INGS" by Kate Gosselin. She will be coming there on December 18th to sign the book, so I wanted to eliminate having to stand in line to purchase the book when I go to get it autographed.

After Hackman's, we did head over to Starbucks. While we were there, I saw those adorable yarn ball wreaths I have been hearing so much about! I read on Ravelry that one of the girls asked their local Starbucks manager if they could purchase one when the holidays were over, and the manager said he would give them to her free of charge. I will have to call mine to ask about getting one! :) After ordering my Peppermint Mocha Twist, I saw the new mugs they have as well. They have a cable knit texture to them and it reminds me of the Irish Hiking Scarf I'm in the middle of knitting, so of course I had to snag me one of them as well. We sat on the couches that were there. Hubby with his new book, and me with my knitting, just sipping on our drinks. Finally, we got a bit too chilly and decided to head home.

On the way home, I decided I wanted to stop and see the area that was big on the news the other week. A house about a mile from where we live had randomly exploded. There were 2 people inside the house when it happened, but they made it out with minor injuries and bruising. The explosion leveled their house and made the houses on either side of it be condemned due to structural damage. It left 17 people homeless. They are still trying to figure out what caused the explosion, but they did rule out any criminal activity. One of the people in the neighborhood that they interviewed had mentioned that he was on his way home right around when the explosion happened, but had a strange urge to pick up a bible before heading home. I just think its amazing that nobody was seriously injured.

After seeing the house, we went home, straightened up the bedroom. Re-arranged some furniture and just relaxed. I think tomorrow will be spent reading, knitting and cooking dinners for the week.

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

3 comments:

Katknit said...

Holy @*#@#! That's awful, those poor people!
Looks like you're off to a great start here! See you at Rav...

Lina said...

I love those Starbucks wreaths! I think I'm going to ask the one nearby if I can get one from them after the holidays too.

That is so strange about that house... I hope that all the people who wound up homeless will be able to find places to live soon. It's such a horrible time for it to happen, during the holidays and all.

Oh and just wanted to mention that I love your cabled scarf! Can't wait to see it when it's done. :)

Ria said...

Wow just exploded??? as if we all don't have enough to worry about. I was in starbucks yesterday as well. Had the expresso truffle mmmmmm. I got the mug also - is it not the cutest?? as well as one for a gift. I am thinking about going back to get the red travel cup that has the same knit print as the to go cups they are using right now.

I have a bunch of scrap Christmas yarn from a few years ago. I was considering getting some styrofoam or cheapo christmas balls and my hot glue gun and attempting my own wreath.

ria (tonyfan4ever on ravelry)