Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Remodelling=Relocating

Today we had a holiday luncheon at work. They had a caterer come in, give us free food and we got to relax for 2 hours and 45 min. During lunch, my dad came in (he works for the same company as I do). After I ate, I went back to my desk for some quiet knitting time. He approached me and told me he heard from my uncle. My uncle is friends with the guy that lives in the apartment above me. Apparantely my neighbor got news from my landlady that Hubby and I are being evicted in the spring since she wants to remodel our apartment. Now, under normal circumstances, we would have legal protection, but my landlady does not believe in leases. Therefor, there is no way I could legally fight it. When the guy that used to live in the first floor apartment had finally moved out, the landlady did renovations on his apartment. She refuses to hire a professional, and instead has her daughter help her fix the place up. That process took her a year and a half before it was back in living conditions. That would explain the eviction since she can't very well put us up in a hotel for that amount of time while she renovates.

Am I going to confront her on this news I heard? Nope. The main reason is, she tends to procrastinate. She hasn't told us that we will be moving out, so the longer I pretend I don't know, the more likely she is to put her little project off.

It irritates me that she chose to go blabbing about this to the neighbor before informing us, but in a way it's a good thing. She wasnt aware that he is friends with my uncle. So now we have a few extra months to plan what to do before move out day.

Hubby and I were planning on saving to move to Arkansas. We werent planning on it being anytime soon, especially since we are down to one income at the moment. However, after talking with his mom, when it is time for us to move out, we are packing up and moving to Arkansas. We will be staying with her until we get jobs, save enough to get our own place.

Its going to be hard leaving my family, but right now thats the only option. My apartment was really cheap. I cant find another apartment in this area that I can afford. Plus, since we wanted to eventually move to Arkansas, we may as well do it as soon as the opportunity arrives. At least we will have a roof over our heads while we try to find out what to do next.

4 comments:

Lina said...

That really sucks! I hope you won't have to move anytime soon... moving is so expensive! The next apartment you rent you should make sure to do a lease... I would so tell your landlady off if I lived near you. :P

Blushed said...

I plan on leaving a nice letter for her when we do move out. I also plan on leaving the keys with the guy upstairs so I dont deal with her in person. I dont even want the security deposit.

sajmom said...

why did your neighbor talk to your uncle and not tell you himself? What a jerk, if she has those plans she should let you know so you can plan-very selfish of her. Especially since she's known you for years.

Blushed said...

She's weird like that. She recently had to pay to get the main water pipe in the basement fixed and since it was our apartment where the leak was first discovered, she's mad that she had to spend money to get it fixed. Hence her not really talking to us. She'll get over it. At this point, with the electrical sockets that spark, the fact that I can't have the air conditioner running at the same time as the microwave is on, and the loud neighbors next door, I'm glad she's doing this.